We Build Custom Large 3D Letters
Table of Contents
Tradition + Technology
Large letters are ideal for making a bold emphasis on a brand, product, or message. There are many uses for these types of oversized displays. At trade shows, these huge 3D letters serve as a magnet to attract large crowds and to stand-out amongst myriads of other trade show booths. Retail stores can use them for visual marketing and product branding. Special events can use 3D large letters to clearly identify the main message points. The craze today is the ever-popular selfie – various uses of these displays can immerse you right into your brand and increase your social media effectiveness.
With today’s fabrication technologies, simple foam letters and metal letters can be turned into pieces of art with vibrant colors, airbrushing, and special painting techniques. Combining structural elements with the letters can bring some interesting focus on the letters and the associated message. For example, building a seat somewhere inside a foam or wooden letter can make a great place for that special selfie. You are only limited by your imagination.
Features & Benefits
- Sizes – Most often when thinking of 3D letters, smaller sizes come to mind. In reality, if you want a 6′, 10′, or 20′ tall humongous letter – it is possible to do. Colossal messages can be created with these oversized letters. When thinking of that giant attraction, large 3D letters make it all happen. Thinking outside the box, letters can be much deeper than they are tall. A 4′ tall letter could actually be 5′ deep, making them totally out of proportion, but also adding interesting design aspects.
- Fonts – Any style/size of font can be applied.
- Materials – Common materials are foam (very light in weight), plastic, wood, and metal. A combination of materials is also available.
- Professional Creators –We have a team of designers, artists, model-makers, painters, air-brushers, sculptors, carpenters, and welders to fabricate those large 3D letters with imagination, immersion, and experiential aspects.
- Finishes – There are many different options for finishes such as unpainted in natural white or painted in a standard or custom color with matte or semi-gloss finishes. Lamination is also available. Even automotive paint finishes can be applied for extremely glossy finishes. Airbrushing of special designs can also be ordered.
- Strength – Very often these letter displays are just meant to be temporary and self-standing. Other times, they may require structural components to withstand people climbing on the letters or leaning against them.
- Project Size – No project is too large or too small. If you need a few letters that are 10′ long, we make it. If you need some letter messaging that is 100′ long, we can make that too. If you can design it, we can create a physical model of it. If you can’t design it, we have a team of design professionals who can. We can work with preparing 3D models from scans, drawings, photos, and even napkin drawings.
- Capacity – We have 60,000 square feet of production facilities in Utah, including the largest capacity of full-color 3D printing in the world.
- Technologies – At WhiteClouds, we use many different technologies including Foam Fabrication, Hot Wiring, CNC Cutting, Laser Cutting, Welding, and 6 different 3D Printing technologies.
- Combination – At times, it makes sense to combine large letters and messaging with special themed displays or trade show displays. We can easily combine large letters with large numbers. We have the team that can create your letters that might include custom electronics, lighting, and sound.
Technology & Materials
- We use foam fabrication technologies such as CNC Cutting, Hot Wires, Laser Cutting, Hot Knifing, and Sculpting.
- We fabricate high-quality customized large metal letters from 3 feet tall and above with several metal materials and finish options.
- With 3D printing technology, you aren’t limited to straight lines and boxes. A 3D printer can easily create detailed, complex shapes. We use six different 3D printing technologies using different materials including UV-cured resin. The type of physical completed product determines which material will produce the best results. We can help you choose the material that is best for your project. Resolution on our printers is finer than a human hair. Our color 3D printers can print in full-color (over 750,000 variations of color) for awe-inspiring reality.
- Our in-house spray booth gives us flexibility in different types and grades of paint and finishing capabilities.
- Depending on requirements for durability, weather-proofing, temperature, mobility, strength, and flexibility, different finishes for our 3D letters can be used. These finishes may be combinations of painting, air-brushing, flat-to-glossy finishes, natural environment finishes, soft-shell and hard-shell coatings, sealers, and glassing. These can be from latex, acrylic, urethane, polyurea, epsilon, polyurethane, and many others.
Custom 3D Letter Pricing
The cost of custom 3D letters are based on the volume of materials (size of the letters), type of materials, the time it takes to create the 3D design, production labor, and possible installation time and materials, as well as other specific elements unique to the project. Each large letter project is bid individually and the best way to determine cost is to email us, call us at 385-206-8700, or fill out the form below and let us bid on your project.
Get a Free Price Estimate
Custom Fabrication Workflow
Common Questions & Answers
- Can you use my custom artwork?
Yes. Please send us your file in a vector AI, EPS, or PDF format.
- How do I know what size letters I need for viewing distance?
A general rule is that you can see a:
- 6″ letter from 125 feet
- 1′ letter from 250 feet
- 2′ letter from 500 feet
- 4′ letter from 1000 feet
To maximize marketing impact, you might consider some of these sizes:
- 4′ letters to 10′ letters for capitalizing on use of social media immersion (think selfies)
- 3′ letters to 10′ letters for stage presence
- 3′ letters to 12′ letters for trade shows
- What is the largest letters model you can make?
There is no limit to the size of model. Transportability will be your only concern on an extremely large letter model.
- What features can a large letter model have?
Letters can be finished with paint or special strength coatings and can even be airbrushed. They can also be covered with any special look you might want from organic coverings to special materials. Custom bases or special shapes are also available.
- What file type is required if I need to incorporate special fabrication into the project?
We work with all architectural CAD programs and modeling programs including AutoCAD, Revit, Chief Architect, ArchiCAD, Maya, 3DS Max Design, Zbrush, and Sketchup, just to name a few. If you design in 3D, we will start with your 3D files. If you have 2D blueprints, artist’s sketches (or even napkin drawings), we can build a model from these as well.
- What is the turnaround time for custom 3D letters?
This is totally dependent on the size of the project. Typical projects can be completed in two to six weeks. We understand that sometimes deadlines are tight and we can accommodate rush orders in shorter amounts of time.
- I have to fit my letters in a certain length of space. How do I know they will fit? What is the maximum size that will fit?
Let us know what your maximum line length should not exceed. We will then calculate what size letters can fit.
- Can I use a custom font?
Yes, you can use a custom font for your 3D letters project. You will need to send us the font in a .ttf (True Type format). If we are buying the font for you, that will be additional.
- What technology do you use for large letters?
It can be a number of different technologies, individually or combined. These range from 3D Foam, 3D Printing, Metal, CNC Cutting, laser cutting, laser etching, casting, molding, sculpting, painting, airbrushing, laminating, vinyl printing, and woodworking – all meant to produce highly engaging models that fit your exact needs.
- What is the material used?
We match the correct material and fabrication process to your requirements in terms of presentation, size, and transportability. We fabricate in our model shop using different types of foam, wood, metal, resins, and acrylics. We can also 3D print in uv-cured resin, plastic, rubber-like acrylic, and nylon. Our large letters are typically made with EPS foam, metal, and sometimes with wood. Need a special facing? The sky is the limit! (once, we created letters with green moss)
Do you have a question we didn‘t answer? Don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-385-206-8700 or [email protected].
WhiteClouds has delivered models around the world.
Our internal steps for creating customized 3D letters are:
- If available, we like to receive a CAD file (drawing file) from our customer. Many times we will design the file with our team of designers based on requirements from the customer. If letters need to be stand alone or attached to a base, then some design work is required.
- The next step depends on the type of technologies required. Most of the time we create letters with EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) foam, so the next step would be to upload the file to the computers connected to our CNC hot wire foam cutting equipment and then each letter shape is cut and then placed into production. If we are creating extremely large letters, we may need to glue multiple blocks of foam together.
- Our foam comes in different densities. The desired finish and design requirements will dictate which density we use. The higher the density, the smoother the foam (and also more expensive). Typically, we use 2 lb. EPS.
- Letters may be attached or connected to other materials for specific desired looks.
- Individual letters are prepared for finish work. They may be glued, sanded, primed, painted, airbrushed, etc. depending on customer requirements. We may need to spray on a protective plastic coating depending on required durability and weather resistance.
- If the letters need to be attached to a structure or stand, we then do the necessary work to finish off the project.
- Letters are prepared for shipping by either being wrapped/packaged in foam or special shipping containers.