Large Foam Letters
We Build Custom 3D Large Foam Letters for Trade Shows, Events, Signage, Office Lobbies, Sports Events, Retail, Indoor and Outdoor Usage.
Table of Contents
Why Order Custom 3D Foam Letters?
Giant foam letters are an awesome way to make your message or brand stand out and get noticed. They can be used for trade show displays, college graduations, weddings, conventions, sporting events and signs for your business. The possibilities are endless. Huge letters can be seen from great distances and are the perfect way to engage your audience and are a great place for taking awesome selfies or participant group photos.
Large 3D foam letters can be a variety of shapes, sizes, fonts and finishes to create unique settings. We can complete the design of your letters with anything from single color or multi-color paint to greenery and texture. We can add special effects like LED lighting, back-lighting and up-lighting for the perfect crowd-magnet. Big foam letters can be used indoors or outdoors. Be sure to ask about extra coatings to add strength and durability like our Polyurea ULXT66. You are only limited by your imagination.
But what makes large foam letters so appealing? Firstly, their lightweight nature allows for easy handling and installation, making them suitable for temporary displays and events. Made from durable and high-quality foam materials, they are designed to withstand the test of time while retaining their aesthetic appeal.
Check out some of our galleries and projects examples to get some ideas of what’s possible.
Features & Benefits
- Sizes – When you think of that awesome display or colossal message, large foam letters make it happen. All sizes of foam letters are available. Think big – 6’, 10’ or 20’ giant letters are very possible to create. Thinking outside the box, letters can be deeper than they are tall, making them out of proportion, but also creating a unique design.
- Fonts – Any style and size of font can be applied to big foam letters.
- Materials – Large foam letters are typically made from EPS foam (very light in weight), but plastic, wood, metal, and combinations are also available to complete your design.
- Professional Creators – We have a team of designers, artists, model-makers, painters, air-brushers, sculptors, carpenters, and welders to fabricate big foam letters with imagination, immersion, and experiential aspects.
- Finishes – We use many different finishes including unpainted in natural white or painted in a standard or custom color with matte or semi-gloss finishes. Lamination is also available. Even automotive paint finishes can be applied for extremely glossy finishes. Airbrushing of special designs can also be ordered. For durability or outside use, we recommend our Polyurea ULXT66 hardcoat. It has a slightly bumpy texture to it but it withstands a variety of harsh conditions.
- Lighting – We use a variety of lights including LED, marquee or specialty lights for that unique look to help your letters really stand out. See some examples in our gallery of Lighted Letters and Logos.
- Strength – Very often large foam letters are just meant to be temporary and self-standing. Other times may require structural components to withstand people climbing on the giant foam letters or leaning against them for taking selfies. We can fabricate them to your specifications to be strong and durable.
- Project Size – No project is too large. Whether you need a few letters that are 10′ long or you need letter messaging that is 100′ long that’s no problem. If you can design it, we can create a physical model of it. If you can’t design it, we have a team of design professionals who can. We can work with preparing 3D models from drawings, photos, scans, and even napkin drawings.
- Capacity – Did we mention, we have 60,000 square feet of production facilities in Utah, including the largest capacity of full-color 3D printing in the world.
- Technologies – At WhiteClouds, we use many different technologies including Foam Fabrication, Hot Wiring, CNC Cutting, Laser Cutting, Welding, and six different 3D Printing technologies.
- Combination – At times, it makes sense to combine foam letters and messaging with special themed displays or trade show displays. We can easily combine large foam letters with large numbers. We have the team that can create your letters that may need to include custom electronics, lighting, and sound.
Technology & Materials
- We use foam fabrication technologies such as CNC Cutting, Hot Wires, Laser Cutting, Hot Knifing, and Sculpting.
- Our in-house spray booth gives us flexibility in different types and grades of paint and finishing capabilities.
- Depending on requirements for durability, weather-proofing, temperature, mobility, strength, and flexibility, different finishes for our large letters can be used. These finishes may be combinations of painting, air-brushing, flat-to-glossy finishes, natural environment finishes, soft-shell and hard-shell coatings, sealers, and glassing. These can be from latex, acrylic, urethane, polyurea, epsilon, polyurethane, and many others.
Pricing of Custom 3D Large Foam Letters
The cost of large foam letters is based on the volume of materials (size of the letters), type of materials, the time it takes to create the 3D design, production labor, and possible installation time and materials, as well as other specific elements unique to the project. Each large letter project is bid individually and the best way to determine cost is to email us, call us at 385-206-8700, or fill out the form below and let us bid on your project.
Get a Free Price Estimate for Large Foam Letters
Custom Fabrication Workflow
Common Questions & Answers
- Can you use my custom artwork?
Yes. Please send us your file in a vector AI, EPS, or PDF format.
- How do I know what size letters I need for viewing distance?
A general rule is that you can see a:
- 6″ letter from 125 feet
- 1′ letter from 250 feet
- 2′ letter from 500 feet
- 4′ letter from 1000 feet
To maximize marketing impact, you might consider some of these sizes:
- 4′ letters to 10′ letters for capitalizing on use of social media immersion (think selfies)
- 3′ letters to 10′ letters for stage presence
- 3′ letters to 12′ letters for trade shows
- What is the largest foam letters model you can make?
There is no limit to the size of model. Transportability will be your only concern on an extremely large letter model.
- What features can a large foam letter model have?
Letters can be finished with paint or special strength coatings and even airbrushed. They can also be covered with any special look you might want from organic coverings to special materials. LED lighting, custom bases or special shapes are also available.
- What file type is required if I need to incorporate special fabrication into the project?
We work with all architectural CAD programs and modeling programs including AutoCAD, Revit, Chief Architect, ArchiCAD, Maya, 3DS Max Design, Zbrush, and Sketchup, just to name a few. If you design in 3D, we will start with your 3D files. If you have 2D blueprints, artist’s sketches (or even napkin drawings), we can build a model from these as well.
- What is the turnaround time for custom foam letters?
This is totally dependent on the size of the project. Typical projects can be completed in two to six weeks. We understand that sometimes deadlines are tight and we can accommodate rush orders in shorter amounts of time.
- I have to fit my letters in a certain length of space. How do I know they will fit? What is the maximum size that will fit?
Please let us know what your maximum line length should not exceed. We will then calculate what size letters can fit.
- Can I use a custom font?
Yes, you can use a custom font for your 3D letters project. You will need to send us the font in a .ttf (True Type format). If we are buying the font for you, that will be additional.
- What technology do you use for large letters?
It can be a number of different technologies, individually or combined. These range from 3D Foam, 3D Printing, Metal, CNC Cutting, laser cutting, laser etching, casting, molding, sculpting, painting, airbrushing, laminating, vinyl printing, and woodworking – all meant to produce highly engaging models that fit your exact needs.
- What is the material used?
We match the correct material and fabrication process to your requirements in terms of presentation, size, and transportability. We fabricate in our model shop using different types of foam, wood, metal, resins, and acrylics. We can also 3D print in uv-cured resin, plastic, rubber-like acrylic, and nylon. Our large letters are typically made with EPS foam, Metal, and sometimes with wood. Need a special facing? The sky is the limit! (we once created letters with green moss)
Do you have a question we didn‘t answer? Don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-385-206-8700 or [email protected].
WhiteClouds has delivered models around the world.
Our internal steps for creating giant foam letters are:
- If available, we like to receive a CAD file (drawing file) from our customer. Many times we will design the file with our team of designers based on requirements from the customer. If letters need to be stand alone or attached to a base, then some design work is required.
- The next step depends on the type of technologies required. Most of the time we create letters with EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) foam, so the next step would be to upload the file to the computers connected to our CNC hot wire foam cutting equipment and then each letter shape is cut and then placed into production. If creating extremely large letters, we may need to glue multiple blocks of foam together.
- Our foam comes in different densities. The desired finish and design requirements will dictate which density we use. The higher the density, the smoother the foam (and also more expensive). Typically, we use 2 lb. EPS.
- Letters may be attached or connected to other materials for specific desired looks.
- Individual letters are prepared for finish work. They may be glued, sanded, primed, painted, airbrushed, etc. depending on customer requirements. We may need to spray on a protective plastic coating depending on required durability and weather resistance.
- If the letters need to be attached to a structure or stand, we then do the necessary work to finish off the project.
- Completed foam letters are prepared for shipping by either being wrapped/packaged in foam or special shipping containers.