We Build Custom 3D Thrones
Table of Contents
Tradition + Technology
Fans of all ages go to comic conventions, sporting events, and trade shows. They come from all over the world to experience the excitement and atmosphere with friends, family and of course, characters and actors from their favorite movies and athletes from their favorite teams.
The part that makes this experience so cool are the thrones you can sit in and take the ever-popular selfie to post on your favorite social media site. Imagine you’re John Snow sitting on the throne from Game of Thrones, a Viking sitting on a throne with giant wolf heads for armrests, the Black Panther sitting on the throne in the invisible country of Wakanda, Maleficent sitting on her throne in a dark castle or Ariel on her seashell throne under the sea. Using today’s technology, thrones can even be designed with augmented reality (AR) that enables you to connect your phone to a specially designed app that creates a computer-generated image and superimposes it onto a white throne. They can even be combined with awesome selfie backgrounds – whisking you away to a whole new world.
Features & Benefits
- Selfies are getting more and more elaborate. Our SheRa selfie throne is a great example of all the capabilities AR and project mapping have to offer. The seat is touch sensitive so when a fan sits down the lights are turned on, the fog machine spews a mist of fog, an audio recording plays, a video on the big-screen TV comes on to watch and there’s even indirect lighting on the throne itself.
- Sizes – In reality, if you want a 6′, 10′ or 15’ tall Character Throne, Dragon Throne, Game of Thrones, Gothic Throne, Iron Throne, Sports Throne – it is very possible to do. When thinking of that massive, attention-grabbing attraction or trade show model, thrones are what you’re looking for.
- Professional Creators – We have a team of designers, artists, model-makers, painters, air-brushers, sculptors, carpenters, and welders to fabricate your throne with imagination, immersion, and experiential aspects.
- Finishes – There are many different finishes such as unpainted in natural white or painted in a standard or custom color with matte or semi-gloss finishes.
- Strength – Thrones require structural components to withstand people of all sizes sitting on them.
- Project Size – No project is too large. If you can design it, we can create a physical model of it. If you can’t design it, we have a team of design professionals who can. We can work with preparing 3D models from scans, drawings, photos, and even napkin drawings.
- Capacity – Did we mention, we have 60,000 square feet of production facilities in Utah, including the largest capacity of full-color 3D printing in the world.
- Combination – At times, it makes sense to combine your large throne with special themed displays, trade show displays or large product replicas. We have the team that can create your thrones with custom features, stands and special effects like augmented reality, custom electronics, lighting, and sound.
Technology & Materials
- At WhiteClouds, we use many different technologies including Foam Fabrication, Hot Wiring, CNC Cutting, Laser Cutting, Welding, Fiberglass and 6 different 3D Printing technologies.
- Common materials are foam (very light in weight), plastic, wood, metal, fiberglass, and combinations of materials.
- With 3D printing technology, you aren’t limited to straight lines and boxes. A 3D printer can easily create detailed, complex shapes. We use six different 3D printing technologies using different materials including UV-cured resin. The type of physical end-product determines which material will produce the best results. We can help you choose the material that is best for your project. Resolution on our printers is finer than a human hair. Our color 3D printers can print in full-color (over 750,000 variations of color) for awe-inspiring reality.
- Our in-house spray booth gives us flexibility in different types and grades of paint and finishing capabilities.
- Depending on requirements for durability, weather-proofing, temperature, mobility, strength, and flexibility, different finishes for our large thrones can be used. These finishes may be combinations of painting, air-brushing, flat-to-glossy finishes, natural environment finishes, soft-shell and hard-shell coatings, sealers, and glassing. These can be from latex, acrylic, urethane, polyurea, epsilon, polyurethane, and many others.
Custom Throne Pricing
The cost of each throne is typically between $5,000 and $25,000, but can sometimes exceed that in certain situations. Pricing is based on the volume of materials (size of the throne), type of materials, the time it takes to create the 3D design, production labor, and possible installation time and materials, as well as other specific elements unique to the project. Each throne project is bid individually and the best way to determine cost is to email us, call us at 385-206-8700, or fill out the form below and let us bid on your project.
Get a Free Price Estimate of a Custom Throne
Custom Fabrication Workflow
Common Questions & Answers
- Can you use my custom artwork?
Yes. Please send us your file in a vector AI, EPS, or PDF format.
- What is the largest throne you can make?
There is no limit to the size of model. Transportability will be your only concern on an extremely large throne model.
- What features can thrones have?
Thrones can be finished with paint or special strength coatings and even airbrushed. They can also be covered with any special look you might want from organic coverings to special materials. Lighting, projection mapping, and augmented reality are also popular features. Custom bases and special shapes are also available.
- What file type is required if I need to incorporate special fabrication into the project?
We work with all architectural CAD programs and modeling programs including AutoCAD, Revit, Chief Architect, ArchiCAD, Maya, 3DS Max Design, Zbrush, and Sketchup, just to name a few. If you design in 3D, we will start with your 3D files. If you have 2D blueprints, artist’s sketches (or even napkin drawings), we can build a throne from these as well.
- What is the turnaround time for thrones?
This is totally dependent on the size of the throne. Typical projects can be completed in four to eight weeks. We understand that sometimes deadlines are tight and we can accommodate rush orders in shorter amounts of time.
- If my throne requires lettering, can I use a custom font?
Yes, you can use a custom font for your large thrones project. You will need to send us the font in a .ttf (True Type format). If we are buying the font for you, that will be an additional cost.
- Can you match our PMS/Pantone colors?
Yes. A $100 paint match charge will apply for each PMS or Pantone match.
- What technology do you use for large thrones?
It can be a number of different technologies, individually or combined. These range from 3D Foam, 3D Printing, CNC Cutting, laser cutting, laser etching, casting, molding, sculpting, painting, airbrushing, laminating, vinyl printing, and woodworking – all meant to produce highly engaging models that fit your exact needs.
- What is the material used?
We match the correct material and fabrication process to your requirements in terms of presentation, size, and transportability. We fabricate in our model shop using different types of foam, wood, metal, resins, and acrylics. We can also 3D print in UV-cured resin, plastic, rubber-like acrylic, and nylon. Need a special facing? The sky’s the limit!
- What other things do I need to think about?
- Seat width: The size of the body sitting on the throne. You want enough width in the design to accommodate small kids and grownups of all sizes.
- Durability: Fans sitting on these thrones may be wearing jeans with rivets on the pockets and costumes of all sorts. You’ll want to be sure the seat can withstand all kinds of traffic. If the throne has steps up to it, what coatings will be needed to lessen all the wear and tear of a few thousand people stepping on the base? We offer rubber, fiberglass and other durable, scratch-resistant finishes.
- Special effects: We can add many special effects to your throne like touch sensitive seats, LED lighting, fog machines, spot lights, indirect lighting, audio and video, projection mapping and augmented reality.
Do you have a question we didn‘t answer? Don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-385-206-8700 or [email protected].
WhiteClouds has delivered models around the world.
Creation Process for Custom Thrones
Each throne is one-of-a-kind. We take into account the design, customer specifications, aesthetics, durability, and usage of the model to determine which technology is best suited to the project. Thrones may be attached or connected to other materials for specific desired looks.
Our internal steps for creating thrones are:
- If available, we like to receive a CAD file (drawing file) from our customer but we will take anything, even if it’s just a drawing on a napkin like our Slime Throne project. Many times, we will design the file with our team of designers based on requirements from the customer. If thrones need to be attached to a base, then some design work is required.
- The next step depends on the type of technology required. Most of the time we create thrones with wood for strength but we also use EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) foam and 3D printing technologies to build the detailed pieces of the design. So, the next step would be to build the throne and upload the file to the computers connected to our CNC hot wire foam cutting equipment and then each piece is cut and then placed into production.
- Our foam comes in different densities. The desired finish and design requirements will dictate which density we use. The higher the density, the smoother the foam (and also more expensive). Typically, we use 2 lb. EPS.
- Thrones may be attached or connected to other materials for specific desired looks.
- Thrones are prepared for finish work. They may be glued, sanded, primed, painted, airbrushed, etc. depending on customer requirements. We may need to spray on a protective plastic coating depending on required durability and weather resistance.
- If the thrones need to be attached to a structure or stand, we then do the necessary work to finish off the project.
- The thrones are prepared for shipping by either being wrapped/packaged in foam or special shipping containers.