We build custom 3D Large Numbers for Trade shows, Events, Conventions, Signage and more.
Table of Contents
Tradition + Technology
Large numbers, usually in conjunction with large letters, are ideal for making a bold emphasis on a brand, product, or message. There are many uses for these types of oversized displays. At trade shows, these huge numbers and letters serve as a magnet to attract large crowds and to stand-out amongst myriads of other trade show booths. Retail stores can use them for visual marketing and product branding. Special events can use large numbers and foam letters or wooden letters to clearly identify the main message points. The craze today is the ever-popular selfie – various uses of large numbers can immerse you right into the numbers and increase your social media effectiveness.
With today’s fabrication technologies, simple numbers can be turned into pieces of art with vibrant colors, airbrushing, and special painting techniques. Combining structural elements with the numbers can bring some interesting focus on the numbers and the associated message. For example, building a seat somewhere inside the number can make a great place for that special selfie. You are only limited by your imagination.
Large Number Galleries
Features & Benefits
- Sizes – Most often when thinking of large numbers, smaller sizes come to mind. In reality, if you want a 6′, 10′, or 20′ tall humongous number – it is very possible to do. Colossal messages can be created with these oversized numbers and letters. When thinking of that giant attraction, large numbers make it all happen. Thinking outside the box, numbers can be much deeper than they are tall. A 4′ tall number could actually be 5′ deep, making them totally out of proportion, but also adding interesting design aspects.
- Fonts – Any style/size of font can be applied to the large numbers.
- Materials – Common materials are foam (very light in weight), but plastic, wood, metal, and combinations are also available.
- Professional Creators – We have a team of designers, artists, model-makers, painters, air-brushers, sculptors, carpenters, and welders to fabricate those large numbers with imagination, immersion, and experiential aspects.
- Finishes – There are many different finishes such as unpainted in natural white or painted in a standard or custom color with matte or semi-gloss finishes. Lamination is also available. Even automotive paint finishes can be applied for extremely glossy finishes. Airbrushing of special designs can also be ordered.
- Strength – Very often large numbers are just meant to be temporary and self-standing. Other times may require structural components to withstand people climbing on the numbers or leaning against them.
- Project Size – No project is too large or too small. If you need a few numbers that are 10′ long that is just fine, but if you need some number messaging that is 100′ long – no problem. If you can design it, we can create a physical model of it. If you can’t design it, we have a team of design professionals who can. We can work with preparing 3D models from scans, drawings, photos, and even napkin drawings.
- Capacity – Did we mention, we have 60,000 square feet of production facilities in Utah, including the largest capacity of full-color 3D printing in the world.
- Technologies – At WhiteClouds, we use many different technologies including Foam Fabrication, Hot Wiring, CNC Cutting, Laser Cutting, Welding, and 6 different 3D Printing technologies.
- Combination – At times, it makes sense to combine large numbers and messaging with special themed displays or trade show displays. We can easily combine large numbers with large letters. We have the team that can create your numbers that may need to include custom electronics, lighting, and sound.
Technology & Materials
- We use foam fabrication technologies such as CNC Cutting, Hot Wires, Laser Cutting, Hot Knifing, and Sculpting.
- With 3D printing technology, you aren’t limited to straight lines and boxes. A 3D printer can easily create detailed, complex shapes. We use six different 3D printing technologies using different materials including UV-cured resin. The type of physical end-product determines which material will produce the best results. We can help you choose the material that is best for your project. Resolution on our printers is finer than a human hair. Our color 3D printers can print in full-color (over 750,000 variations of color) for awe-inspiring reality.
- Our in-house spray booth gives us flexibility in different types and grades of paint and finishing capabilities.
- Depending on requirements for durability, weather-proofing, temperature, mobility, strength, and flexibility, different finishes for our large numbers can be used. These finishes may be combinations of painting, air-brushing, flat-to-glossy finishes, natural environment finishes, soft-shell and hard-shell coatings, sealers, and glassing. These can be from latex, acrylic, urethane, polyurea, epsilon, polyurethane, and many others.
The cost of large number model are based on the volume of materials (size of the model), type of materials, the time it takes to create the 3D design, production labor, and possible installation time and materials, as well as other specific elements unique to the project. Each large number project is bid individually and the best way to determine cost is to email us, call us at 385-206-8700, or fill out the form below and let us bid on your project.
Get a Free Price Estimate
- Can you use my custom artwork?
Yes. Please send us your file in a vector AI, EPS, or PDF format.
- How do I know what size numbers I need for viewing distance?
A general rule is that you can see a:
- 6″ number from 125 feet
- 1′ number from 250 feet
- 2′ number from 500 feet
- 4′ number from 1000 feet
To maximize marketing impact, you might consider some of these sizes:
- 4′ numbers to 10′ numbers for capitalizing on use of social media immersion (think selfies)
- 3′ numbers to 10′ numbers for stage presence
- 3′ numbers to 12′ numbers for trade shows
- What is the largest numbers model you can make?
There is no limit to the size of model. Transportability will be your only concern on an extremely large number model.
- What features can a large number model have?
Numbers can be finished with paint or special strength coatings and even airbrushed. They can also be covered with any special look you might want from organic coverings to special materials. Custom bases or special shapes are also available.
- What file type is required if I need to incorporate special fabrication into the project?
We work with all architectural CAD programs and modeling programs including AutoCAD, Revit, Chief Architect, ArchiCAD, Maya, 3DS Max Design, Zbrush, and Sketchup, just to name a few. If you design in 3D, we will start with your 3D files. If you have 2D blueprints, artist’s sketches (or even napkin drawings), we can build a model from these as well.
- What is the turnaround time for large numbers?
This is totally dependent on the size of the project. Typical projects can be completed in two to six weeks. We understand that sometimes deadlines are tight and we can accommodate rush orders in shorter amounts of time.
- I have to fit my numbers in a certain length of space. How do I know they will fit? What is the maximum size that will fit?
Please let us know what your maximum line length should not exceed. We will then calculate what size numbers can fit.
- Can I use a custom font?
Yes, you can use a custom font for your large numbers project. You will need to send us the font in a .ttf (True Type format). If we are buying the font for you, that will be additional.
- What technology do you use for large numbers?
- It can be a number of different technologies, individually or combined. These range from 3D Foam, 3D Printing, CNC Cutting, laser cutting, laser etching, casting, molding, sculpting, painting, airbrushing, laminating, vinyl printing, and woodworking – all meant to produce highly engaging models that fit your exact needs.
- What is the material used?
We match the correct material and fabrication process to your requirements in terms of presentation, size, and transportability. We fabricate in our model shop using different types of foam, wood, metal, resins, and acrylics. We can also 3D print in uv-cured resin, plastic, rubber-like acrylic, and nylon. Our large numbers are typically made with EPS foam, and sometimes with wood. Need a special facing? The sky is the limit!
Do you have a question we didn‘t answer? Don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-385-206-8700 or [email protected].
WhiteClouds has delivered models around the world.
Creation Process for Large Numbers
Our internal steps for creating large numbers and letters are:
- If available, we like to receive a CAD file (drawing file) from our customer. Many times we will design the file with our team of designers based on requirements from the customer. If numbers need to be stand alone or attached to a base, then some design work is required.
- The next step depends on the type of technologies required. Most of the time we create numbers with EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) foam, so the next step would be to upload the file to the computers connected to our CNC hot wire foam cutting equipment and then each number shape is cut and then placed into production. If creating extremely large numbers, we may need to glue multiple blocks of foam together.
- Our foam comes in different densities. The desired finish and design requirements will dictate which density we use. The higher the density, the smoother the foam (and also more expensive). Typically, we use 2 lb. EPS.
- Numbers may be attached or connected to other materials for specific desired looks.
- Individual numbers are prepared for finish work. They may be glued, sanded, primed, painted, airbrushed, etc. depending on customer requirements. We may need to spray on a protective plastic coating depending on required durability and weather resistance.
- If the numbers need to be attached to a structure or stand, we then do the necessary work to finish off the project.
- Numbers are prepared for shipping by either being wrapped/packaged in foam or special shipping containers.