Dota2 3D Printed Map Model
Case Study: Video Game 3D Printed Map Models
Table of Contents
DOTA 2 3D Map Model
The DOTA 2 3D Map Model is sure to captivate audiences wherever it is located. This diorama will be the centerpiece of any DOTA 2 gamer’s dream game-room. The phenomenal detail showcases each individually designed element, from the Ancients, barracks and towers in each base down to the forgotten bones of old enemies strewn along the side of a forest path. Each model is hand-finished and assembled by artisans and model-makers, including a beautiful hardwood case with decorative inlay. Lighting is designed to highlight the lava flows, crystals, bases and other dynamic elements. There are three models available, the DOTA 2 Full-Size Model, the Radiant Model, and the Dire Model. Fulfill your ultimate DOTA 2 game-playing experience with this one-of-a-kind collectible.
Dota2 3D Map Model Images
All models are built with stained hardwood and include an acrylic cover. The Full-size model includes an electrical light box that highlights various features throughout the map such as lava flow, the Ancients, barracks, and towers. There are 381 individually designed elements from the game using 39 different vivid colors. Every element has been painstakingly designed to match the in-game model. All map elements are manufactured with advanced 3D printing technologies, to ensure maximum precision and detail.
Making Of... (Interviews with the Designers)
The Lanes and Jungle
The Fine Details
- How long did it take to build the Dota Map Model?
The 3D models of the DOTA map were created by a team of 8 designers over six months. To produce each unique full-size model, it takes over 30 hours of combined 3D printing time, and 32 hours of manual assembly.
- What is the material used?
The map is 3D printed in sandstone-like material; the base comes in a variety of attractive stained hardwoods, or you can select a custom treatment.
- What options are available for customization?If you can think it, most likely we can build it. If it is simple changes for a particular type of wood base or the color of the wood stain, this would be a very minimal charge. If you want an all-metal box or larger version, then the customization pricing would be much more significant. You can contact us with your ideas and we will give you a firm quote for pricing. Before any fabrication occurs, we will reach out to you to see if you would like any customized amenities or features built into your product.
- Can I order a larger model?
Yes, if you want a super-sized model, we can do that. Need a 15’x15′ model? No problem. Please contact us for a quote.
- What is the wait time from the day I order it until the day it arrives at my doorstep?
We would like to have 4-6 weeks of production time. If you need it in a hurry, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- How are these shipped and what are the shipping charges?
The full-size model is shipped via common carrier and will be placed into a specially built shipping container. The smaller models, Dire and Radiant, will be packaged then shipped via one of the common services (FedEx, UPS, USPS). For continental USA customers, all shipping will be Free. For the rest of the world there will be shipping charges of $250 for the full-size model and $100 for the radiant and dire models.
- Are the models painted?
No. Our 3D printers print in full-color (up to 750,000 colors). They are built with a sandstone-like material and then have a very special matte finish applied.
- Will WhiteClouds be building different versions of the map?
If we have enough interest from the Dota community, we would certainly consider doing so.
- What happens when Dota changes the in-game map?
This doesn’t happen very often. Very much like the car industry or smartphone industry, the model may become outdated. You don’t need to upgrade your model. If you would like the most recent model, we can sell you an upgraded model for a discounted price.
- What version of the game is this for?
The map model represents the game as of the 7.07 (Dueling Fates) release.
Do you have a question we didn‘t answer? Don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-385-206-8700 or [email protected].
Authorized Partnership with Valve
In October 2017, Valve stunned the industry when they announced a partnership deal with Shapeways allowing licensing of their content to be 3D printed. As a Shapeways printing partner, and owning the worlds largest capacity of full-color 3D printers, we have a lot of experience creating and printing all sorts of 3D models. WhiteClouds has 3D printed figurines for DOTA in the past, as well as for Halo, Smite, and many other major entertainment brands. When the Valve license opened up, we wanted to come up with something unique, and go beyond just printing more figurines. With our experience in creating 3D printed gaming and entertainment content, and producing large dioramas, we decided to produce a one-of-a-kind gaming collectible, something that no-one else could pull off.
- WhiteClouds’ industrial 3D printing technology, can print full-color models with incredible detail.
- We can 3D print models in different materials including sandstone-like, digital plastic, and UV-cured resin. The type of model determines which material will produce the best results. We can help you choose the material that is best for your project.
- Our 3D printed entertainment models show incredible detail. The resolution of our printers is finer than a human hair.